Author Topic: I've never seen anything like this before  (Read 671 times)

Offline BroncoSaurus

• DII
    • View Profile
I've never seen anything like this before
« on: April 03, 2022, 12:03:09 PM »
I was looking into the wrestling backgrounds of the Arizona State wrestling signees and came across a guy named Diego Chavez.  His High School wrestling results are frankly unbelievable (meant as a compliment I suppose).  I write that here because this is what he did in HS.

In 2019 he won the Arizona AIA Division IV State championship at 160 lbs

In 2020 he won the Arizona AIA Division IV State championship at 182 lbs

In 2021 he won the Arizona AIA Division IV State championship at 195 lbs

in 2022 he won the Arizona AIA Division IV State championship at 175 lbs

I've never seen or heard of anyone who dropped down twenty pounds between their Junior year and Senior years in High School.   Is there anyone else who has done something like that - other than in the movie "Vision Quest"?
Never argue with a fool.  They bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience.  -Anonymous

Offline BroncoSaurus

• DII
    • View Profile
Re: I've never seen anything like this before
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2022, 12:17:38 PM »
Diego Chavez's results at these four Arizona AIA Division IV State tournaments are pretty incredible as well.  Here's a review of his results at these four Arizona State tournaments:

2019 as a HS Freshman at 160 lbs - 1st Rd Won by FALL in 1:10 - 2nd Rd Won by FALL in 1:34 - 3rd Rd Won by MD (12-1) - Championship Rd Won by FALL in 5:39

2020 as a HS Sophomore at 182 lbs - 1st Rd Won by FALL in 0:17 - 2nd Rd Won by FALL in 2:20 - 3rd Rd Won by FALL in 0:28 - Championship Rd Won by FALL in 1:12

2021 as a HS Junior at 195 lbs - 1st Rd Won by FALL in 1:09 - 2nd Rd Won by FALL in 0:30 -3rd Rd Won by FALL in 1:09 - 4th Rd Won by FALL in 1:18 - Championship Rd won by FALL in 3:17

2022 as a HS Senior at 175 lbs - 1st Rd Won by FALL in 1:12 - 2nd Rd Won by TF (17-1 in 4:20) - 3rd Rd Won by FALL in 1:15 - Championship Rd Won by MD (15-5)
Never argue with a fool.  They bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience.  -Anonymous

Offline BroncoSaurus

• DII
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2022, 03:57:07 PM »
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm  I think I hear CRICKETS here. 

Offline ctc

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2022, 05:16:28 PM »
Mike Evans won hs state in Penn at 195 (?) and then wrestled at Iowa at 174 (?)
"We can state with conviction, therefore, that a man's support for absolute government is in direct proportion to the contempt he feels for his country" - Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline BroncoSaurus

• DII
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2022, 07:51:53 AM »
I'm just wondering what weight class Diego Chavez is going to be at for Arizona State.................174 ?  184?  197?

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2022, 01:36:20 PM »
It sounds like he got worse his senior year!  ha ha!.   If only I could have had his level of leveling off!!

Sounds like a blue chipper for sure, dominant and able to find a way to get his opponent to his back very quickly.  Sounds like a beast.   Should be fun to see.

mspart

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2022, 12:51:35 PM »
Yeah, he's either an other worldly beast or his people were scared of him.  Hayden Tuma was similar on the youth GR circuit.  I don' t know that Tuma capitalized on the early promise he looked to be getting.  It's a whole other level at college.  Hopefully this guy steps up and makes a name for himself there. 

mspart

Offline BroncoSaurus

• DII
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2022, 12:58:42 PM »
He won 11 straight matches at the State tournament by FALL from his championship match in his Freshman season thru both his Sophomore and Junior years until his 2nd match in his Senior season.

Pretty remarkable accomplishment IMO.  I have to now wonder how many other HS wrestlers have won 11 straight matches by FALL at their State championships through their HS wrestling careers.  Not many I would think.

NOTE - I had to copy this message and then remove it in order to Edit it so I'm just putting this NOTE in here to indicate why it is now out of order in this thread.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2022, 05:00:59 PM »
ASU would do well to grab this guy.  They need to get another incredible wrestler that can become a coach like Zeke.   Keep that program coming along.

mspart