Author Topic: N.I.L. = Beginning of the end of college athletics  (Read 622 times)

Offline BroncoSaurus

• DII
    • View Profile
N.I.L. = Beginning of the end of college athletics
« on: April 22, 2022, 10:43:19 AM »
Here's a url link to a story on a QB transfer from lowly Incarnate Word to Washington State where it is mentioned that his "payoff" was $90,000.   This is only the beginning folks.  I hate to sound like one of those nutjobs who hold signs on street corners with messages like "The End Is Near" but this N.I.L. insanity is literally the beginning of the end for college athletics in all sports.

https://www.johncanzano.com/p/canzano-going-rate-for-a-pac-12-quarterback?s=r

There are other reports of college athletes with 4 years of eligibility being paid $1,000,000 for four years use of their name, image and likeness.  And one college athlete who has been paid $500,000 for ONE year of his N.I.L. rights.  Some might say that's great for the college athlete and maybe so but it's certainly not good for college athletics - especially the non-power Five schools.  It is just going to turn into a bidding war where everyone ends up losing.
Never argue with a fool.  They bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience.  -Anonymous

Offline red viking

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: N.I.L. = Beginning of the end of college athletics
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2022, 10:11:04 PM »
Yup. My interest in college sports is definitrly waning.
"Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in religion is the worst." Thomas Paine

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out of 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2022, 01:06:19 PM »
Semi-pro teams owed and operated by c’s and u’s.

Makes you wonder when Major League Baseball will smarten up and let the universities pay for development by teams.

Offline BroncoSaurus

• DII
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2022, 05:11:51 PM »
"**BREAKING NEWS*** @LifeWallet is proud to announce @NijelPack24 has officially committed to UM as a basketball player.  The biggest LifeWallet deal to date, two years $800,000.00 total at $400,000.00 per year plus a car.  Congratulations!!! @johnnyruiz4 @alex7ruiz @ddiazon7"

[/img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FRDVZXLXMAE83nJ?format=jpg&name=large[img]

And to think my alma mater was SEVERELY penalized by the now impotent N.C.A.A. because then current football team members allowed SIGNED incoming freshmen who didn't have housing set up yet sleep on their couches and FLOORS.
Never argue with a fool.  They bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience.  -Anonymous

Offline ctc

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2022, 09:24:16 PM »
In all honesty, I saw this coming from the beginning and was totally against it.  Highest bidder can just but a championship and all the little guys will simple fold or suffer.
"We can state with conviction, therefore, that a man's support for absolute government is in direct proportion to the contempt he feels for his country" - Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline BroncoSaurus

• DII
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2022, 09:12:37 AM »
I can honestly say exactly what you wrote here but together - you and I - have about as much control/power on this as a gnat or an ant has.  All we can do is sit back and watch our projections on how this is going to turn out come to fruition.

The saddest parts of this whole thing is the twits who approved of this don't see a problem with this arrangement AND the fact that - apparently - there is NO LIMIT to this.

Offline BroncoSaurus

• DII
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2022, 01:19:24 PM »
More N.I.L. insanity:

"The 1Oklahoma Collective announced its presence, with plans to pay every football, men's basketball and softball player "an opportunity" to earn between $40,000 and $50,000 per year. Like many in the collective space, 1Oklahoma is presented as a charitable entity. While light on specifics, the plan seems to be to pay Sooner athletes to do good samaritan work with partnered charities and non-profits."