Author Topic: NCAA Transfer Portal statistics from 2019 thru July 2021  (Read 507 times)

Offline BroncoSaurus

• DII
    • View Profile
NCAA Transfer Portal statistics from 2019 thru July 2021
« on: April 26, 2022, 05:23:52 PM »
https://www.ncaa.org/sports/2022/4/25/transfer-portal-data-division-i-student-athlete-transfer-trends.aspx

According to the statistics compiled by the N.C.A.A. 54 percent of NCAA football players who entered the transfer portal successfully re-located to another school.  In other words nearly half do NOT transfer successfully.

Yet if you run the same search for the sport of men's wrestling that number drops down to 39 percent successfully transfer to a new school.  Meaning well over half do NOT transfer elsewhere.
Never argue with a fool.  They bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience.  -Anonymous

Offline BroncoSaurus

• DII
    • View Profile
Re: NCAA Transfer Portal statistics from 2019 thru July 2021
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2022, 05:31:37 PM »
My mistake - the outcome I came to earlier was incorrect.  The actual number of successful NCAA transfers via the transfer portal in the sport of wrestling is actually 49 percent.  With 7 percent apparently withdrawing or staying at their school and 43 percent not being successful in transferring elsewhere.
Never argue with a fool.  They bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience.  -Anonymous

Offline BroncoSaurus

• DII
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2022, 05:33:57 PM »
The results for Softball are nearly identical to wrestling - 50 % successful - 7 % either withdrawing or remaining - 43 % unsuccessful.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2022, 10:56:26 AM »
Guessing you have to be better than the guy or new recruit at the new school.   50% sounds about right.   But what happens if you decide or have to stay?   What is life like then?

mspart

Offline BroncoSaurus

• DII
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2022, 02:14:22 PM »
I guess it would kind of be similar to how one leaves a place of employment.   If one leaves on good terms and they want you back then you can return.  But if leave ungracefully and burn your bridges I guess that means you're done.

I'm wondering that very thing about Stanford's Logan Ashton.  He's been in the transfer portal for what - a couple weeks now (or more) - and it would "appear" that he has not garnered much interest to this point.  Obviously I could be 100 percent wrong on that but I'm just going by what I'm seeing (or NOT seeing actually).   I would think he would be welcome to return to Stanford if he chose to do so as they have a need for him at 125 lbs.   Stanford's options if he doesn't return will probably be to go with one of two incoming true freshman unless they take someone from the transfer portal.  But the latter seems like a longshot given the admission standards to get in to Stanford.

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out of 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2022, 07:12:51 AM »
Entering the portal doesn't severe your relationship with your current school.  He could be looking for a new opportunity, more schollie money or possibly NIL benefits.  Schollie allocations go out before 7/1 mand can change years to year.  Last I heard Stanford was not fully funded and may not have the full 9.9 to allocate.

Offline BroncoSaurus

• DII
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2022, 08:13:57 AM »
I'm virtually certain the last part of what you wrote here is correct.   I don't think Stanford's wrestling program has ever been fully funded with 9.9 scholarships.  Which is pretty astounding considering the Stanford endowment - as of 2021 - was reported to be 37.8 BILLION dollars.   

But that having been said I am sure that the Stanford wrestlers aren't starving to death - especially now with the insanity that is the N.I.L. 

I'm also pretty sure that - previously - they found all sorts of creative ways to offset their lack of scholarships.