Author Topic: Best CURRENT options from the transfer portal (key word being CURRENT)  (Read 797 times)

Offline BroncoSaurus

• DII
    • View Profile
 125 lbs

Logan Ashton (61) - Stanford

133 lbs

Joe Heilmann (21) - North Carolina

141 lbs

Wyatt Henson (34) - Iowa
    Sam Hillegas (36) - Virginia Tech

149 lbs

Dom Demas (12) - Oklahoma

157 lbs

Avery Bassett (35) - George Mason

165 lbs

Drew Nicholson (31) - Chattanooga

174 lbs

Matt Finesilver (8) - Duke

184 lbs

Tate Samuelson (15) - Wyoming
    Rocky Jordan (17) - Ohio State
    Anthony Montalvo (19) Oklahoma State

197 lbs

Jacob Ferreira (31) - North Carolina State

285 lbs

Yaraslau Slavikouski (9) - Harvard

Never argue with a fool.  They bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience.  -Anonymous

Offline BroncoSaurus

• DII
    • View Profile
All rankings are from WrestleStat

Finesilver's ranking is # 8 but the symbol of a bracketed 8 is apparently one of the emoji's here.

I tried to copy the entire message and then remove it (to edit it) but I was given a message saying I could not remove one of my own messages here.
Never argue with a fool.  They bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience.  -Anonymous

Offline BroncoSaurus

• DII
    • View Profile
I'm sure that Stanford would love to bring in either one of the two guys listed here as 141 lbs (to replace Real Woods)

And I'm also sure that Arizona State would love to bring any one of the three guys listed at 184 lbs or the one guy listed here at 174 lbs.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
This is quite interesting.   I am not aware of the transfer portal.   Can you explain how it works and when it came about and why?  It sounds like it is is related to NIL. 

mspart

Offline BroncoSaurus

• DII
    • View Profile
I find it interesting that there is someone (anyone) who is not aware of the transfer portal.  The NCAA transfer portal has existed since October 2018, i.e., for 3 1/2 years now.  It allows a student-athlete to formally request that their current school's compliance administrator put their name in the portal to facilitate a transfer to another school.    It has nothing at all to "N.I.L." - which only recently was allowed by the NCAA - as N.I.L. stands for Name Image and Likeness (rights).  As student athletes are now allowed to merchandise themselves, their image and likeness to sponsors who wish to pay them for that sort of thing.   It's basically - IMO - legalized corruption and I think it will end up ruining all of NCAA athletics.  But that's just one man's opinion.

As it pertains to wrestling you can see for yourself who is in the transfer portal by going to the WrestleStat website and look on the left side of the menu page where the PROFILES section is listed.  The very first option under PROFILES is TRANSFER PORTAL.   Once you click on that it will list all of the known (to WrestleStat) wrestling athletes who are currently in the transfer portal.   It's kind of a confusing format that they use but once you get used to it makes sense. You do have to be registered with WrestleStat in order to access it however, i.e., you need to create an account with them.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Thanks for the explanation.  I appreciate it.  I'm not up on college athletics with regard to this kind of stuff. 

In the past, a kid could transfer but they lost of year of athletic eligibility.  That's my understanding.   I assume the portal rescinds that.   I think that is good if true.  Maybe it makes it more uniform for those trying to transfer so that there is a defined process and they can "advertise" themselves rather than having to go to other colleges to see if they are interested.  That's what it seems to me that it does.

mspart

Offline BroncoSaurus

• DII
    • View Profile
Not a problem & you're welcome.

You are correct that - in the past - a student-athlete could transfer but they would lose a year of eligibility.  But for the most part that was only applicable for TWO sports (Football & Basketball).  I'm not sure if that still applies.  In the other sports including wrestling you could pretty much transfer without having to sit out a year.   I don't know all the ins and outs of this topic but I THINK - in the past - you could not transfer to schools that your current (transferring from) school forbade you from going to.  Such as schools in the same conference.  But I do not know if that is still the case.  I kind of doubt that it is still the case.

What I DO know is the NCAA has been sued so many times for their inconsistent (some might say FLAKY) policies that they are finally crumbling and acquiescing. The transfer portal and the very recent decision to allow student-athletes to benefit financially from their own Names, Images and Likenesses, etc., are good in some ways but not so good in other ways.  Bottom line is the student-athletes have a lot more freedom and rights than they used to have under the dictatorial days of the NCAA in the past.   But there is one thing I know for sure about "freedom" and that is if you give someone enough it they will find a way to hang themself with it.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
I agree with that assessment.

mspart

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out of 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
The portal and NIL are independent benefits for student athletes, BUT, they are now working in tandem for the more talented kids, particularly for second tier athletes.  The universities cannot "pay" an athlete, but the boosters can throw an unlimited cash and other goodies to entice transfers to their school.  The caveats:: there must be an agreement between the athlete and the sponsor outlining the benefits to be paid and the obligations of the athlete; when the benefit starts and ends, it cannot require the athlete to play a sport; and, it cannot require the athlete to play for a specific school.  Some HS juniors are being offered NIL deals already.  The kids are allowed to have agent / attorney representation.

A lot of these deals are running through the junior year of college since the Bballer of Fballer may turn pro and do not want to be tied into an agreement that may impeded a pro contract and more valuable endorsements.

As for the portal, you are probably aware of the run little St Peters University made through the NCAA basketball tournament upsetting a bunch of big schools along the way.  Their coach left for Seton Hall and now 3 of its starters have entered the transfer portal looking to move to top tier basketball schools with NIL benefits.

Offline BroncoSaurus

• DII
    • View Profile
Thanks RYou for that informative message.  I learned something from it.

As to basketball ...............I really don't care about basketball, pro or college or high school.  So no I didn't really hear much of anything about St. Peters.   I think I may have heard something about them but anything that has to do with basketball I just tune it out automatically.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: Best CURRENT options from the transfer portal (key word being CURRENT)
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2022, 12:24:08 PM »
Ditto!

mspart

Offline BroncoSaurus

• DII
    • View Profile
Time to update the first post in this thread as things have changed since that was posted.

The CURRENT best options from the transfer portal by weight class:

125 lbs.
# 12 ranked Taylor Lamont (SR) - From Utah Valley

133 lbs
# 52 ranked Cole Manley (SR) From Lock Haven

141 lbs
# 77 ranked Anthony Echemendia (SO) From Ohio State

149 lbs
# 113 ranked Logan Sanom (JR)  From Bucknell

157 lbs
# 13 ranked Dazjon Casto (SR) From The Citadel

165 lbs
# 33 ranked Drew Nicholson (SR) From U.T. Chattanooga

174 lbs
# 8 ranked Matt Finesilver (SR) From Duke

184 lbs
# 15 ranked Anthony Montalvo (JR) From Oklahoma State
# 17 ranked Tate Samuelson (SR) From Wyoming

197 lbs
# 29 ranked Jacob Ferreira (SR) From N.C. State

285 lbs
# 9 ranked Yaraslau (JR) From Harvard
#

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out of 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
Many senior graduate transfers