Poll

Well, would you?

Yes
9 (75%)
No
3 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: August 10, 2009, 05:26:21 PM

Author Topic: Would you ever sign a contract w/o reading the whole doc?  (Read 1666 times)

Offline Cougar1

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Would you ever sign a contract w/o reading the whole doc?
« on: August 10, 2009, 05:26:21 PM »
This poll is in reference to our fearless lawyers in Congress who seem happy to vote on bills they have never read.
“Once abolish the God and the government becomes the God.”

― G.K. Chesterton

alias

Re: Would you ever sign a contract w/o reading the whole doc?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 05:32:05 PM »
republicunts are just as guilty as dems, so what's your point?

Offline LoSt

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 07:20:27 PM »
Quote from: "alias"

I dont see where he said anything about democrats or republicans in his post...

I answered yes but I think I'm in a very different position then a legislator in Congress.  I sign stuff all the time without reading it carefuly just for expedience and to avoid looking like an idiot.  

For example I handed my laptop off to the Geek Squad for repairs today and they made me sign a couple of papers for them, I asked them for a summary of what the doccuments meant but I certainly didnt run through them with a fine comb.

I mean I'm sitting in line with like four people behind me, I'd feel a little inconsiderate if I started grilling the kid behind the counter on the fine print.  Besides, for the most part you have to sign papers like those whether you like them or not, or else your computer/car/house/whatever isnt getting fixed, or your Itunes isnt getting downloaded, or you arent posting on a forum etc etc...

But obviously a federal government official is in a somewhat different position then your average joe.

Offline nywrestler4life

• LXP
  • World Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 08:17:03 PM »
Many times documents take to long to read and are about little things, so I do it.  But if it was my job to read the contract and it affected so many other people, of course I would.

Offline Cougar1

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 08:31:23 PM »

The point is non partison, however, you as usual have to make a partison issue out of everything. Lawyers know that the basics of any contract is to read what you sign BEFORE you sign it and yet congressional lawyers on both sides routinely vote on bills which affect every citizen of the US without having a clue what is in the bill. Not very good representatives are they??

― G.K. Chesterton

alias

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 09:21:19 PM »
I know for a fact it was a dig at democratic bills.  Reality is that no one reads entire bills anymore because they are hundreds of pages long and have tons of riders and addendums by the time they are voted on.

Offline Cougar1

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 10:47:20 PM »
I know for a fact it was a dig at democratic bills.  Reality is that no one reads entire bills anymore because they are hundreds of pages long and have tons of riders and addendums by the time they are voted on.

You're psychic eh? Probably a ventriloquist too.

― G.K. Chesterton

Offline Pirman

• Most Pins
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 01:51:32 AM »
More like a lunatic.
I do not need the government to run my life, I live in America not North Korea or Iran.

Offline ctc

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 08:30:19 AM »
Quote from: "Cougar1"
This poll is in reference to our fearless lawyers in Congress who seem happy to vote on bills they have never read.
If you would have included that statement in the poll, I would have answered differently.
I have signed some "standard papers" at a mortgage company when I bought a house.  I did not read them in their entirity.  I skimmed over them to make sure their wasn't anything "fishy" in there.  It is totally inexcusable for Obama and any member of Congress to pull such a boneheaded prank.
"We can state with conviction, therefore, that a man's support for absolute government is in direct proportion to the contempt he feels for his country" - Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline Black-n-Red

• DII
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 03:54:52 PM »
I have signed some "standard papers" at a mortgage company when I bought a house. I did not read them in their entirity. I skimmed over them to make sure their wasn't anything "fishy" in there.

Yeah, right....because you would have caught something '"fishy"....give me a break.

You wouldn't know "fishy" if it was slimey and smelled like poontang....