Poll

Should Michael Vick be allowed to play in the NFL?

1.  Yes
16 (94.1%)
2.  No
1 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Voting closed: August 14, 2009, 12:41:59 PM

Author Topic: Should Michael Vick be allowed to play in the NFL?  (Read 2012 times)

StephanVonVesthell

Should Michael Vick be allowed to play in the NFL?
« on: August 14, 2009, 12:41:59 PM »
?

Offline AKIN

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: Should Michael Vick be allowed to play in the NFL?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 01:03:09 PM »
He's paid his debt. So if someone wants to hire him(obviously they did), he should be able to play.
Imagine the good that could be done, if people were less worried about their differences, and more worried about doing good for everyone.

StephanVonVesthell

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 01:36:50 PM »
I agree.  He SHOULD be allowed to play again.  But, would you get the same opportunity if you had lost your CEO position at a place of employment after you had paid your dues from dog fighting?

Offline Cougar1

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 01:44:13 PM »
Quote from: "StephanVonVesthell"
I agree.  He SHOULD be allowed to play again.  But, would you get the same opportunity if you had lost your CEO position at a place of employment after you had paid your dues from dog fighting?

Either I'm having a "stupid" moment or your question is just worded funny. Can you rephrase that.  :D  Yes, he should be allowed to play again. He made foolish choices and paid his time. My sincere hope for him is that he's a better man for it and will do well with his new team.
“Once abolish the God and the government becomes the God.”

― G.K. Chesterton

Offline AKIN

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 02:40:35 PM »

Sure, if someone was willing to hire you. I don't see a difference. Do you have a specific instance in mind?
Imagine the good that could be done, if people were less worried about their differences, and more worried about doing good for everyone.

StephanVonVesthell

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 02:44:14 PM »
Quote from: "AKIN"

Sure, if someone was willing to hire you. I don't see a difference. Do you have a specific instance in mind?
I was just saying, it doesn't seem likely that you will get another chance like he has to enter the profession that you once occupied after a stint in prison.  I was alluding to him getting that opportunity due to him being a wealthy athlete.  It seems to only happen in the sports world, unless I am mistaken.

Offline Cougar1

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 04:46:19 PM »

I was just saying, it doesn't seem likely that you will get another chance like he has to enter the profession that you once occupied after a stint in prison.  I was alluding to him getting that opportunity due to him being a wealthy athlete.  It seems to only happen in the sports world, unless I am mistaken.

OK, I get it now. I would tend to agree that the odds are pretty slim for a CEO. Prison tends to flush one's opportunities down the crapper.
“Once abolish the God and the government becomes the God.”

― G.K. Chesterton

Offline AKIN

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 05:52:24 PM »

I agree it would be tougher for someone other than a pro athlete to get back into his profession after prison, but I think it is possible. Obviously it would most likely take longer than it took Vick to get back in.

Offline Jimmy the Gent

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 08:03:44 PM »

what are you talking about?  Most people can resume work in their same profession after they serve time.  They might not work for the same employer, but they work in the same profession.

Just like Vick.  Not taken back by his old employer, Atlanta, find a different employer, Philly.
"Jimmy, I understand your point and technically your logic is sound."  --Viratas

Offline Jimmy the Gent

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 08:04:11 PM »
"Jimmy, I understand your point and technically your logic is sound."  --Viratas

StephanVonVesthell

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2009, 01:59:33 AM »
Quote from: "Jimmy the Gent"

what are you talking about?  Most people can resume work in their same profession after they serve time.  They might not work for the same employer, but they work in the same profession.

Just like Vick.  Not taken back by his old employer, Atlanta, find a different employer, Philly.

Do you have any examples?  I really don't know.  I am pretty obliviously confident about my statement though.

Offline royboy

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
  • you gotta be tough if your gonna be stupid
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2009, 03:44:45 AM »
why not Ray Lewis killed a dude...
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."

Offline ctc

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2009, 08:33:36 AM »
I voted "yes".  There don't seem to be any set in stone guidelines as to what would permanently expell someone and what would not.  These should be in place prior.  I would place dogfighting and gambling in there for expellsion.
"We can state with conviction, therefore, that a man's support for absolute government is in direct proportion to the contempt he feels for his country" - Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline ac1998

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009, 02:54:08 PM »
Dante Stallworth and Leonard Little killed people while driving drunk and will get to play in the NFL again.  What Vick did was abhorant, but I don't think it's worse that that.

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2009, 03:02:00 PM »

Entirely different skill sets needed between being a CEO and an NFL player. As a CEO, many decisions are value based, but very few or none on a football field. CEO's would not be prevented from seeking lower employment positions with less resposibilty.

He paid his debt to society. I dont buy his newfound regret, but he has a right to ply his trade.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell