Poll

Who would you rather sign as a quarterback today

Brett Favre
5 (38.5%)
Michael Vick
8 (61.5%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: August 18, 2009, 11:20:33 AM

Author Topic: Favre or Vick  (Read 4803 times)

Offline a guest

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
Favre or Vick
« on: August 18, 2009, 11:20:33 AM »
Lots of stuff out there regarding these two quarterbacks playing in the 2009-2010 season.  If you were an owner, who would you rather sign today?

Offline Jimmy the Gent

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: Favre or Vick
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 11:22:46 AM »
i'd pick the one who is not 41 years old.
"Jimmy, I understand your point and technically your logic is sound."  --Viratas

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://theopenmat.com
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 11:35:55 AM »
I will take Vick, but not as a QB
Aequitas - Veritas (is Latin)
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

"When it’s over, I’ll look up and see what remains. If there are any bridges, I’ll cross them when I get there."

Offline buck

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 12:16:02 PM »
Favre was good 10 years ago, Vick is 29.  Easy choice.
We are the storm.

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 12:19:13 PM »
Quote from: "Viratas"
I will take Vick, but not as a QB
My sentiments exactly.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline nywrestler4life

• LXP
  • World Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 01:48:10 PM »
Vick still has a huge career in front of him.

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 02:32:21 PM »
You may be correct

I would make his a FS
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

"When it’s over, I’ll look up and see what remains. If there are any bridges, I’ll cross them when I get there."

Offline Jimmy the Gent

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 02:46:22 PM »
You may be correct

I would make his a FS

even though he has never played defense or hit anyone, you make him a defensive player.

-tom cruise laugh-
"Jimmy, I understand your point and technically your logic is sound."  --Viratas

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 03:03:07 PM »
Yes I would. FS is the least physical position on Defense.

Deon Sanders did pretty well and Vick has hit more guys as a QB the Sanders ever did as a FS. Also, as an ex QB he would have decent reads. Also, I am sure he has never tackled anyone right Jimmy?

I would also consider him a slot player, but then again you dont think he can take a hit so maybe not.
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 03:43:45 PM »
Yes I would. FS is the least physical position on Defense.

Deon Sanders did pretty well and Vick has hit more guys as a QB the Sanders ever did as a FS. Also, as an ex QB he would have decent reads. Also, I am sure he has never tackled anyone right Jimmy?

I would also consider him a slot player, but then again you dont think he can take a hit so maybe not.

I tend to disagree on the physicality of cornerbacks over FSs. FS are still charged with some run support and generally not so with CBs.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline Jimmy the Gent

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 03:47:10 PM »
well I suppose if your idea to make Vick a defensive back is so brilliant, there is a good chance the professionals in the Viking Org. will recognize the same idea, and we will be seeing Vick playing defense soon.

[video:333z0k79]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU4p5CcZvh4&feature=PlayList&p=CDB7F53E604EC07A&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=11[/video:333z0k79]

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 04:31:21 PM »
Jimmy football is a topic I know I can run circles around you in. Specifically from a position by position break down so you will not in the least annoy me on this one.

VG. I Disagree in Most Defenses the FS Job is to be the saftey valve and not come up for any major run support, that is the job of the SS. Corners contain and FS chase. If you FS is coming up and making a lot of tackles most likely you SS sucks as do you LB's. The FS also serves as Secondary Contain for the Corners.
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

Offline Jimmy the Gent

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2009, 05:16:05 PM »
I have plenty of football experience.  Maybe not as much as you, but enough to know that winning is everything in the NFL.  And if the professionals in the Eagle organization from the Owner to GM to Assistants to Scouts to Coaches to Head Coach believe as YOU do, that Vick should be used as the starting Free Safety, surely that is where they will put him.

Why do YOU think that in reality there is not a snowballs chance in hell Vick EVER plays on defense.  

The answer to that question should shed some light on your fun Madden-esque theory.

And if you are really suggesting Vick is best suited to play FS, you are doing a horrible disservice to your football credibility.

If vick plays safety I will give you a huge apology.  But the professionals know that Vick has no business being used at FS.  That is an 'armchair' theory if I have ever heard one!!  LOL

Offline Jimmy the Gent

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2009, 05:17:54 PM »
Next V is going to tell us Usain Bolt needs to be starting for the Bears at WR bc Hester and Co. can't get it done.

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2009, 05:59:46 PM »
Yea ok Jimmy I feel so much worse now that you disagree with me.

He was not that good of a QB in the NFL before this, so what makes you think he will be good now? You can think my opinion is absurd all you want. Yea nobody is moving him and yea they are professional coaches so I am sure they are all smart cookies. Thats why the always win right? I would look at moving him awau from QB. Maybe Def. Maybe not, I think he could have a far more productive career at a postion other then QB.

Reasons I believe he would make a good FS.

1. Speed
2. Play making ability
3. Knowledge of the offense and abilty to read
4. Height.

Now please come back with another one of your oh so insightful posts.
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth