Poll

Who would you rather sign as a quarterback today

Brett Favre
5 (38.5%)
Michael Vick
8 (61.5%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: August 18, 2009, 11:20:33 AM

Author Topic: Favre or Vick  (Read 4793 times)

Offline Jimmy the Gent

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: Favre or Vick
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2009, 06:06:08 PM »
If you polled every scout, GM and coach in the NFL they would all say that moving Vick to defense is a dumb dumb dumb idea.

You know that too.

That is all I will say on the subject.  I'll keep my eye out this year and see if he plays Defense tho V.
"Jimmy, I understand your point and technically your logic is sound."  --Viratas

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://theopenmat.com
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2009, 06:22:57 PM »
Yea that was my point. See arguements and debates with you are all the same. "Well this is what every one says and does so it must be so". What was once funny is no longer. its just tiresome and old material. I know you are a bright guy, but see the difference between you and me and most others with the exception of your step dad sparky is that we do not feel a dire need to go out and "prove or in your case attempt to prove" that we are oh so smart. You thrive off feeble attempts at belittling people to stroke your own fragile ego. Thats cool I am used to it and still like you.

Also if you polled the GM's the Majority would not take him at all, as was pretty much the case. Now go text sparky and tell him you pwned me little fella while you rub one out to some Tom Cruise movie.
Aequitas - Veritas (is Latin)
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

"When it’s over, I’ll look up and see what remains. If there are any bridges, I’ll cross them when I get there."

Offline Jimmy the Gent

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2009, 06:29:02 PM »
you are psychoanalyzing me too much.

I just called you out that suggesting Vick is best suited to play Free Safety in the NFL is a dumb idea and would never happen.  The people that know football best (GMs, Scouts, Assistants, Head Coaches, Owners, etc. etc.) agree with me.

I like you too.
"Jimmy, I understand your point and technically your logic is sound."  --Viratas

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2009, 06:31:12 PM »
Quote from: "Jimmy the Gent"
you are psychoanalyzing me too much.

I just called you out that suggesting Vick is best suited to play Free Safety in the NFL is a dumb idea and would never happen.  The people that know football best (GMs, Scouts, Assistants, Head Coaches, Owners, etc. etc.) agree with me.

I like you too.

Stop being an idiot or will punch you as I am not above vilolence at all. I never said he would be best suited, I am saying i would give him a look there. Now I am not a GM or HC so no worries really. Iwill say with out a doubt I do not think he is a good NFL QB though.
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

"When it’s over, I’ll look up and see what remains. If there are any bridges, I’ll cross them when I get there."

Offline Jimmy the Gent

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2009, 06:35:55 PM »
you should never resort to violence.

I don't think Vick is a great quarterback.  He is borderline 'good'.  I'd say he is in the middle of the 32 starting QBs.  

However as a Free Safety, I would almost guarantee he would be in the bottom 5% of starting FS in the NFL

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2009, 06:38:13 PM »
I am surprised you chose the career you did, I would think someone as smart as you in every topic would be running a team or Company by now. :D  

I would say right now he would be at the bottom 2 years aways is a long time in the Pro Game. He was avg. before this all happened.
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

Offline Jimmy the Gent

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2009, 06:40:04 PM »
Quote from: "Viratas"
I am surprised you chose the career you did, I would think someone as smart as you in every topic would be running a team or Company by now. :D  

I would say right now he would be at the bottom 2 years aways is a long time in the Pro Game. He was avg. before this all happened.

If by average you mean selected to the Pro Bowl multiple times, then, yes, he was average.

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2009, 07:20:21 PM »
Look at his stats (as a passer not a runner) Yea the Pro-bowl has nothing to do with popularity either?

His TD to Int ratio is not so hot. Career 75 passer rating. Yea I would say Average.

Best year was 2002 passer rating wise with 16 TD and 8 INT.. Yea thats stellar.

Take that season out and he is avg. at best.

Hell T Jack has better stats the Vick career wise and we all know he is well below average.
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

Offline Jimmy the Gent

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2009, 07:33:40 PM »
LOL!

You intentionally ignore Vick's ability as a RUNNING QB so as to make your argument work ALOT better.  hehe.

I never thought you would resort to that type of debate tactic in which case I must respond:

If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle.

That is what made him a unique QB - his runnings ability.  Oh, but let's just not "count" that.  jeez V, step it up man.

Offline Jimmy the Gent

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2009, 07:39:51 PM »
If the NFL made a rule that Vick was not allowed to rush for TDs (He has rushed for 21 TDs) or rush for positive yards (he has rushed for nearly 4,000 yards) I would agree with you.  He is a below average QB.

But since the NFL hasn't made any rules to stop Vick from using his legs, as it stands he is an average/ above average-to-good QB.

That is hardly debatable V.  Let's be realistic my friend.

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2009, 07:43:02 PM »
No it makes him a good runner. Did all the ability lead them to the promise land?

Vince Young can run is he Above Average? Oh yea and so was Daunte Culpecker.

His career record is 38-28-1

He rushed for over 1K yards once.

But hey I am sure you are right I am wrong just as you always are big guy. Feel better liitle one?

Good QB's win football games period.

If all there was to being a QB was to run around then AP would be a hall of fame guy at QB I guess.

Most Rushing TD's in a season by a QB

Steve Crogan 12 (NE, 1976)
Kordell Stewart 11 (PIT, 1997)
Tobin Rote 11 (GB, 1956)
Johnny Lujack 11 (CHI, 1950)
Daunte Culpepper 10 (MIN, 2002)
Billy Kilmer 10 (SF, 1961)
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

Offline Jimmy the Gent

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2009, 08:09:13 PM »
No it makes him a good runner. Did all the ability lead them to the promise land?

Oh, okay, I didn't know that for a quarterback to be considered average-to-good he had to get to the promised land.  Nice logic.

Vince Young can run is he Above Average? Oh yea and so was Daunte Culpecker.

Vince Young can run but he did not do well in the NFL.  So because Vince Young failed as a running QB, that somehow takes away from Vick succeeding as a running QB?  Nice Logic.  And by the way, when Culpepper retires, his body of work will be considered to be that of, most definitely, an above average QB.

His career record is 38-28-1

That is a career record that admittedly only includes about 4 full seasons, but as far as that time period ten games over .500 is most definitely nothing to be ashamed of for an NFL QB.  

He rushed for over 1K yards once.

Correct.  He did rush for over 1,000 yards once. In fact he is the only QB in the history of the NFL to do so!  He also ran for 600, 700 and 900 yards in other seasons.  Pretty awesome coming from a QB.

Good QB's win football games period.  

I agree.  Vick revolutionized the position.  And had modest success at it as evidenced by his 58% winning percentage.  You seem to be setting up a strawman, that I believe Vick was the best thing since sliced bread.  I never said that.  I said he was an average-to-good NFL QB, which he is.  And any honest or objective person will tell you the same thing.

You need to work on your debate skills you resort to strawmen and nastiness too often Viratas.

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2009, 08:12:07 PM »
LOL This coming from you? Pot meet Kettle, welcome the sparky world of circular arguements.

The king of turning things into nastiness is being critical of me?

Jimmy you are to funny.
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2009, 11:51:20 AM »
LOL This coming from you? Pot meet Kettle, welcome the sparky world of circular arguements.

The king of turning things into nastiness is being critical of me?

Jimmy you are to funny.

Both he AND his side-kick Sparkles need lessons on the psychological aspects of the term projection.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline Black-n-Red

• DII
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2009, 09:38:17 PM »
...and someone needs to do a GOOGLE search of Psycho-Babble 101 and get another term besides "projection" to throw out there.  You use that one way too much.

Isn't this the point where Sparky should chime in and claim that he's living in your head rent-free?