Author Topic: Oklahoma Sooner Wrestling Blog Spot  (Read 9773 times)

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: Oklahoma Sooner Wrestling Blog Spot
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2010, 04:11:56 PM »
Quote from: "OkieSpladle"
Quote from: "ViseGrip"
I was sitting in the bleachers close to the floor near the OU section Sunday and I see ol Stan Able walking by on the floor. Suddenly, years and years of the old chant just took over my body, and I stood up and yelled "SIT DOWN ABLE" (Im not kidding I really did LOL)

Nice!
I'm amazed I was the only one that thought of it!

Me too.  I love hating on Spates, but chanting at Able is just tradition.

Whats to hate about Spates? he so milquetoast that its hard to even notice him.  Heck you gus should LOVE him! Mark my words.... when he's finally gone, you'll WISH we had him back!
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline OkieSpladle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2010, 04:19:32 PM »
I was sitting in the bleachers close to the floor near the OU section Sunday and I see ol Stan Able walking by on the floor. Suddenly, years and years of the old chant just took over my body, and I stood up and yelled "SIT DOWN ABLE" (Im not kidding I really did LOL)

Nice!
I'm amazed I was the only one that thought of it!

Me too.  I love hating on Spates, but chanting at Able is just tradition.

Whats to hate about Spates? he so milquetoast that its hard to even notice him.  Heck you gus should LOVE him! Mark my words.... when he's finally gone, you'll WISH we had him back!

No way, that guy bugs me for some reason.  Its hard to put into words.  I want OU to be good.  We need the rivalry back in Oklahoma.  I don't ever want to lose to them, of course, but I don't want to lose to anybody.

Offline Old Number Nine

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2010, 08:52:57 AM »
I would have guessed the crowd was bigger than that.  They were loud for both sides.
Its probably pretty close. If you moved all of those down from the NEW GIA into the old GA I dont think it would be half full and as I recall the old Gallagher held around 9,000. But it WAS a good crowd as far as noise and I loved not only seeing your old wrestlers getting honored but that promo video was really cool!

Speaking of the old Gallagher, you might appreciate this OS....

As I recall, Gallagher Hall originally had around 6300 seats although we packed about 9000 in for 1978 Big 8 Conference Finals.  Now that was Bedlam.  The 6300 was cut back to something like 6100 after the renovations in the late 80's.

Watching Tommy and Stan yell at each other from across the mat was one of the best parts of bedlam in the the old days.  Able was fun to hate, Spates is just a goober.

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2010, 10:01:25 PM »
March 6, 2010

NORMAN, Okla. -- Three Oklahoma wrestlers won individual titles at the Big 12 Championships Saturday evening, a first for the Sooners since 2002. Those individual wins came at 125 pounds with Jarrod Patterson, at 149 with Kyle Terry and at 157 with Shane Vernon.

The conference title was the second-straight for Terry and the first for Patterson and Vernon.

"Three champions today," OU head coach Jack Spates said. "We had tremendous performances in virtually every match. Really, with the exception of one match, we wrestled better in every match than we had all year. So, it's just a great, great performance."

Oklahoma finished third in the team race with 64 points in front of a second-session crowd of 2,610 inside the Howard McCasland Field House. Oklahoma State claimed the title with 70.5 points, eclipsing Iowa State's 69 points. Missouri (33) and Nebraska (32) placed fourth and fifth, respectively.

Additionally, Patterson was voted a "Co-Outstanding Wrestler" by league coaches. The true-freshman shared the honor with Oklahoma State's Jordan Oliver.

"It is a great feeling," Patterson said. "It was just last year I was wrestling in high school and I think I have come a long way since then. It is a big honor to be voted `Outstanding Wrestler' because a lot of other guys deserved it."

Zack Bailey was second at 141, while Kendric Maple (133), Tyler Caldwell (165) and Eric Lapotsky (197) all finished third in their respective classes.

Under the new qualifying criteria for the NCAA, nine Sooners -- Patterson, Bailey, Terry, Vernon, Caldwell, Erich Schmidtke, Lapotsky and Fernandez -- automatically punched their tickets to the National Tournament held in Omaha, Neb. March 18-20.  OU's 133-pound Kendric Maple awaits at-large selections by the NCAA committee this Wednesday, March 10.
     FINALS
125 Pounds: Oklahoma freshman Jarrod Patterson, ranked No. 13 nationally, won the Big 12 Championship at 125 pounds with a 5-3 decision over Iowa State's Andrew Long, ranked No. 5.

Patterson notched a takedown with 1:42 left in the first period then rode out the frame. He added an escape before Long got a takedown with 25 seconds remaining in the second. Patterson (28-9) iced it with a takedown at the 1:21 mark of the third period to get his seventh straight win. Long (23-6) escaped as time expired for the match's final point. The win avenged Patterson's only regular season loss in Big 12 competition.

It marked the second straight year that an OU freshman won the 125-pound division. Last year, it was Joey Fio.

141 Pounds: No. 6-ranked Jamal Parks of Oklahoma State downed No. 3 Zach Bailey of Oklahoma in the rubber match between the two this season. Parks (28-5) got the decisive takedown with 15 seconds remaining in the third period. He gave up an escape, but held on to win, 3-2.

The setback ended a 14-match winning streak for Bailey (24-6).

149 Pounds: OU's Kyle Terry successfully defended his title at 149 pounds with a 3-2 win over Iowa State's Mitch Mueller. The match paired the top two seeds in the class.

Terry (26-2) went up 2-0 with a takedown at the 1:40 mark of the first. He scored the back-breaker point on an escape with 1:41 remaining in the second. Mueller (25-8) wriggled away for an escape with 51 seconds left for the match's final point.

Terry became the first Sooner to win back-to-back Big 12 crowns since 125-pounder Sam Hazewinkel did so in 2006 and 2007.

157 Pounds:  Oklahoma's Shane Vernon won with a thrilling 6-5 triumph over Oklahoma State's Neil Erisman. It avenged a loss for Vernon in the regular season finale.

Vernon (19-5) took a 4-3 lead into the third period, but Erisman's escape with 1:57 left squared the match. The Sooner wrestler responded with a takedown with only 55 seconds then withstood an escape by Erisman (27-8) with 27 seconds left to capture the title.

1. OKLAHOMA STATE (70.5)
2. IOWA STATE (69)
3. OKLAHOMA (64)
4. MISSOURI (33)
5. NEBRASKA (32)
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2010, 03:31:49 PM »
A Good Year!

From 33rd and no AAs in 2009 to 5th and 4 AAs in 2010 is improvement to say the least.  Coming into this year, I had very little hope for much improvement and was only waiting for the day  the University announced the inevitable, that Spates was stepping down and Sammy Henson had been named Head Coach. I dont think anyone could have predicted the impact of Sammie Henson (and Lightner) could have had in just one year. I honestly believe that if Sammy had been head coach, he would have been Coach of the Year (no insult to Barry Davis intended).

125: The year started with RS Frosh Justin Forrest but soon Jarrod Patterson burst on the scene in Bedlam I with a huge upset with over Chris Notte who had just majored him a few weeks before in an open tournament. Another huge win was in the Big XII finals where he beat NCAA runner up Long after getting dominated just a few week before.  In the tournament, he showed his inexperiance. A first round loss to a very good Brad Pataky (loses to Escobedo and Nickerson) was understandable but not the loss to the 11 seed Martinez. One thing about this kid though, he BOUNCES back and gets better. Even with the studs coming back at 125 I expect Patterson who finished with a 30-11 record to place in the NCAA next year.

133: The year started with Fargo champ and true Frosh Alex Eckstrom and soon it became apparent he wasnt physically ready for DI competition and Kendrick Maple was brought out of redshirt and the Kansas native had a pretty good year for a not highly recruited true freshman. The highlight of the year for Maple was disappointing loss to Oliver in Stillwater after holding a decent lead deep into the 3rd period and then giving up two TDs. In the Big XII, he took 3rd and won a wild card into the NCAA where he lost in Rnd 1 to 5th seed Novotchkov but came back to win 2 matches in the Consos including #11 seed Sentes before falling to 7th seed Grey and ended with a 33-12 record. This kid reminds me of Clint Burke for those that remember the former Sooner NCAA runner up at 134. Because this weight will be hit hard by graduation, I think Maple has a much better than even chance of placing in the NCAA next year and if Oliver noves up to 141, should be the best in the Big XII.

141: Zack Bailey entered the NCAA as the Big XII runner up and #6 seed. After winning a pigtail match he lost a 1 pt to the very experienced and dangerous Seth Ciasulli but stormed back through the backside becoming a seed killer with 6 straight wins including the 12 (Duenas), 7 (Novotchkov), 9 (Jones), 10 (Nauman), and 3 (Thorn) seeds before falling to Hump in the Conso finals leaving him with a 30-6 record. Keep in mind here that a year ago we all thought his wrestling career was over with a chronically out of place shoulder. Among Bailey's wins this year were over NCAA champ Dake and NCAA #2 seed Parks. Zack is a tough kid that could win it all next year.... or blow out a shoulder in December.

149: Kyle Terry had pretty darn good year. He finishes as 2x Big XII Champ and NCAA 3rd place the season 31-3 with a loss to Metcalf in the semis in the NCAA. I wish he had gotten the #4 seed where a win over Palmer looking ahead to Metcalf, would have been very possible. Next year look for either Matt Lester or Seth Vernon or even newcomer Justin DeAngelis and son of former Sooner NCAA runner up Frank, to take over in a weak weight for the Big XII.

157: Shane Vernon finally won his spot back from Chad Terry but failed to live up to his potential. After losing a close 7-5 3rd round match with eventual runner up Pami, Shane came back to win 2 on the backside before losing a tough OT match to unseeded Gaethje and finished the year 23-7 and Big XII King. In the wings awaits a very strong RS Frosh and Fargo champ Kyle Detmer who had a VERY close loss to OSU Big XII runner-up Neil Erisman in an open tournament in December.  I think this kid has a TON of potential and expect him to be a multiple AA before graduating.

165: After starting the year with Derek Peperas the coaching staff brought fellow Detmer Kansas native, Tyler Caldwell out of redshirt and with an NCAA 5th place to finish the year the switch paid off...BIG TIME. One big hurdle Caldwell had to clear was OSU frosh and HS standout Meade who beat Caldwell three times this season.  At the Big XII however Caldwell overcame his poke nemesis with a 3rd place finish and NCAA berth. After a 1st round win over #12 seed Young, Caldwell stunned the crowd with a huge win over #5 seed Sponseller and followed with a quarterfinal win before falling to NCAA champ Howe in the semis 4-1. After a disappointing loss to Amuchastigui he rallied to beat #9 seed Rendos to finish 5th with a final 32-14 record and probable AWN frosh of the year at 165. Next year Caldwell will need to show that the win over Meade wasnt a fluke. Look for those two to have some EPIC battles. That is UNLESS Caldwell grows into the 174 slot in future years.

174: After starting the year ranked 6th in the nation Jeff James once again peaked 3 months early and failed to place at the NCAA. James is a hard kid to figure. Sometimes he really works his butt off only to make a stupid mistake that denies him a quality win and sometimes he just doesnt show up at all. Jeff has one more chance to show some of the promise he held as a freshman. But Im not holding my breath. After a 24-12 record its time for Jeff to step up to the challenge in 2012.

184: As I have said, Erick Schmidtke is the guy we want weighing in 1st. Unfortunately he looks a LOT better than he wrestles. Although just a RS Frosh, I dont think Erik has a lot of upside potential as he is in a word... SLOW.  One bright spot for the California native was a Big XII tourny win over Mizzou's very athletic Dorian Henderson. The kid appears to work his hiney off and never seems to quit so maybe he'll score some NCAA points someday, but dont look for it in the next year or probably the year after that.

197: I was probably one of Eric Lapotsky's biggest critics. And I had reason to be midway through this season as the VERY athletic but very inconsistent 2009 transfer from Bucknell had his ups and downs. Fortunately in the end he at least lived up to his 3rd seed in the VERY TOUGH Big XII and exceeded his NCAA 6th seed with a strong 5th place  and a 31-8 finish on the year. Included in those wins were 5 wins over OSU rival and NCAA All American Alan Gelogaev including a HUGE fall in Stillwater stunning the Cowboy faithful. Next year look for either Texas native Keldrick Hall or tOSU transfer John Williams to fill this spot.

285: With the exception of maybe Erick Schmidtke there isnt anyone I've mentioned above with LESS talent than Nathan Fernandez. But what he lacks in talent he makes up for in guts and effort. Unfortunately that guts and effort is sometimes trumped by very poor mat awareness. Nathan started the year with a HUGE upset win over NCAA runnerup and OSU rival Jared Rosholt and took the Cowboy star into 6 or 7 OT periods before finally falling in the dual in Norman. Then in the Big XII consolations Nathan beat defending National Champ Ellis of Mizzou. Rarely does he get pinned or blown out (he was NOT pinned, teched or majored this year) but seems to be in every match no matter the opponent. At the NCAA, Nathan underperformed (inho) with 1 point loses to the #10 & #7 seeds to finish the year at 26-12. The competition at HWT in the Big XII will lighten next year and maybe Nathan can All American. Dont bet against him.

Overall we finished the year with 4 All Americans and 6 wrestlers with 30+ wins. Looking to next year the loses of Kyle Terry and Lapotsky will be HUGE but Detmer stepping in for Vernon might make that an even wash. I honestly believe the Sooners will be better next year as our four freshmen will have a year under their belts and three should place at the NCAA.

It will be interesting if AD Joe Castiglione reads the situation correctly and gives credit where it is by giving Sammie the head job... or will President Boren step in to save Jack's job once more. Stay tuned!

BOOMER SOONER!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 03:45:55 PM by ViseGrip »

Offline OkieSpladle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2010, 03:44:11 PM »
I've got to tip my cap to the Sooners.  No one could have predicted what they were able to do this season and they've set themselves up very well for the coming years.

Offline Kingk0ng

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2010, 07:57:36 AM »
Can Maple make 133 again? I know he started this year at 141. What about the other Lester, what weight will he be at?
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. (Dr. Seuss)

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2010, 11:40:44 AM »
Well unless Bailey gets hurt which is ALWAYS a possibility, he better make 133 if he wants to start.

Going in this year OU had 3 freshman 133lbers.  Eckstrom, Lester and Maple (who interestingly enough is STILL carried on the roster as a 141lber). Initially of course they went with Eckstrom and held both Lester and Maple back. When Eckstrom kept getting his head handed to him they made the change. I can only assume that Maple won that ranking match and I assume that he will in the future as well. It will be interesting to see when Bailey is gone where Eckstrom & Lester shake out. Its a good thing for them that  Patterson is still a small 125 lber as that would REALLY complicate things.

Offline Cicero

• Conference Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2010, 01:16:35 PM »
Maple should be in better shape next year having a lot longer time to get down to weight.
"The kinds of moves Oliver can hit are well beyond the kinds of moves I have the wrestling knowledge to describe" - LoSt

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2010, 01:21:23 PM »
I've got to tip my cap to the Sooners.  No one could have predicted what they were able to do this season and they've set themselves up very well for the coming years.

Amazing what a new coach can do.
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2010, 02:27:25 PM »
Quote from: "Rockhard"

You mean assistant coach of course.

Offline AKIN

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2010, 02:36:12 PM »

Make sure you do the little quote signs with your fingers when you say assistant.
Imagine the good that could be done, if people were less worried about their differences, and more worried about doing good for everyone.

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 23, 2010, 02:56:03 PM »
Quote from: "AKIN"

Make sure you do the little quote signs with your fingers when you say assistant.
LOL... Indeed!

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 23, 2010, 03:15:09 PM »
It looks like Mr. Spates may be here for THREE MORE YEARS! The following was posted on the OKWrestle.com website.
Under OU’s “Rule of 80” Jack Spates won’t be eligible for fully vested retirement (including his primary concern, medical benefits) until his 61st birthday—July 7, 2013—when his age (61) plus years of service at OU (20) will equal 80. When you factor in what Spates makes from wrestling camps, Spates easily pockets $150K-plus annually. In short, Spates isn’t about to resign as Head Coach or ask for rea$signment until at least July 7, 2013, and probably not even then as long as Henson, Lightner & Thatcher keep delivering on Spates’ promises to new recruits.
 :(

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 01, 2010, 02:22:53 PM »
Article on future Sooner Justin DeAngelis (son of former NCAA runner-up Frank)
Jenks' gold standard
After questioning wrestling, DeAngelis has been dominant.

Jenks' Justin DeAngelis went 32-1 this season and was 100-11 in his high school career. Stephen Pingry/Tulsa World

By MATT DOYLE World Sports Writer
Published: 4/1/2010  2:25 AM
Last Modified: 4/1/2010  8:47 AM

IT WAS quite an accomplishment that Justin DeAngelis became the most decorated wrestler in Jenks High School history.

DeAngelis' accomplishment and path to history nearly did not get started.

DeAngelis questioned his love of wrestling very early in his high school career. He admitted he was not "gung ho" about the sport anymore and considered giving it up.

Some unprescribed time off, though, gave DeAngelis time to reconsider. Ultimately, it probably saved him some regrets.

He was sidelined with a broken thumb in a preseason tournament prior to his sophomore year. During his recovery time, DeAngelis rediscovered his love for the sport. What followed was a gold standard career for future Jenks wrestlers to measure themselves against.

Prior to DeAngelis' prep career, the Trojans' program had just nine individual state champions in wrestling. DeAngelis raised the bar considerably.

He leaves Jenks as a three-time state champion with an impressive 100-11 record. The finishing touch for the senior 152-pounder was this season's 32-1 record, capped by his third consecutive Class 6A state title and the Tulsa World's All-Metro Wrestler of the Year honor.

"It's definitely cool to be labeled as the most accomplished wrestler at Jenks," DeAngelis said. "Our program may not have the fanfare as some of the others here, but I'm proud of what I did accomplish."

Jenks coach Ray Weis said DeAngelis may not have been the most talented athlete early in his career. But what Weis saw daily, and what DeAngelis' opponents saw eventually, was that no one worked harder.

"The time he put in really paid off," Weis said. "He is not a real flashy wrestler, but is a hard-nosed grinder."

Over the past three seasons, that style brought dominating results and a No. 8 national ranking in his weight class from Amateur Wrestling News.

Weis acknowledged opposing coaches would state how impressed they were with DeAngelis' non-stop intensity, effort, and conditioning. As a senior, he pinned 24 of his opponents and was named the outstanding wrestler at five of the six tournaments he won, including the 6A state tourney.

"This year I didn't feel any pressure because I felt there was no one in the state that could challenge me," said DeAngelis, whose lone loss was a 9-7 setback to nationally-ranked Steve Hernandez of Las Vegas in the Reno Tournament of Champions final. "I felt loose and ready to take care of business all year because I knew there was no way I was going to lose here in Oklahoma."

Justin DeAngelis

152 pounds • Senior • Jenks

Season highlight: Captured his third consecutive state title and earned Class 6A outstanding wrestler honor by beating Union’s Kyle Crutchmer 8-2 to finish the season 32-1.

Coach’s comment: “He is a fierce competitor, has an unrelenting style and an unlimited gas tank.” — Jenks coach ray Weis.

About DeAngelis: OU signee is the most decorated wrestler in school history with three state titles and a 100-11 career record.

Favorite wrestler: Frank DeAngelis (his father and 1978 NCAA runnerup at 134 pounds for OU): “My dad wrestled exactly the way I modeled my style.

He put constant pressure on the person, wearing the person out, taught me how to ride legs.

Favorite thing about wrestling: “Being able to prove myself in an individual combat sport.

Biggest misconception about wrestling: “The belief that we (wrestlers) are a bunch of punks, jarheads, roughnecks ... . That’s not true. Most of the really, really good wrestlers are nice guys, and to be good in the sport you do have to have some character.

Favorite high school memory: “Winning the national dual team title with Team Oklahoma in Indianapolis in the summer between freshman and sophomore year.

Fun fact: DeAngelis has worn the same pair of wrestling shoes for all three of his state championship matches.

Guilty pleasure: Loves eating chocolate.

“If I have an entire bag of Hershey’s Kisses, it will be gone quickly.

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/h ... nksJ326136