Author Topic:  (Read 2953 times)

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://theopenmat.com
(No subject)
« on: February 13, 2009, 06:54:17 AM »
Headshuck had posted this on that silly forum :)

I added it to the blog..

<a href='http://thematforumuserblog.wordpress.com/2009/02/13/robinson-u-wrestling-climb-back-to-contention/' target='_blank'>Must read J Rob Article[/url]
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Viratas »
Aequitas - Veritas (is Latin)
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

"When it’s over, I’ll look up and see what remains. If there are any bridges, I’ll cross them when I get there."

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 07:03:11 AM »
J rob slide show and interview

<a href='http://www.startribune.com/slideshows/39459472.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiUjc8LDyiUiacyKUUr' target='_blank'>Check this out as well[/url]
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

"When it’s over, I’ll look up and see what remains. If there are any bridges, I’ll cross them when I get there."

Offline Serial Thriller

• LXP
  • World Champ
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 08:43:35 AM »
It's a nice article about the man himself, but sad as administration's view of the wrestling program is kind of that "You rats can stay in the sewer" type attitude.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Serial Thriller »
There's a growing anti-intellectual strain in this country. It may be the beginning of the end of our informed democracy. -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 08:46:23 AM »
Its been that way since I was there.

J has done several things to anger the Admin not just in sports but the entire school.  A few of them are:

1. Coaches Parking lot
2. Stance on Title IX
3. Speaking his mind about the past College Pres.
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

Offline Serial Thriller

• LXP
  • World Champ
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 09:29:36 AM »
Well, with J you know what you're getting. He may be "rough", but he speaks what is on his mind. Ya gotta love the guy for that.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Serial Thriller »
There's a growing anti-intellectual strain in this country. It may be the beginning of the end of our informed democracy. -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline drmuscle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 09:32:28 AM »
Marty may be one of the few who looks better with out hair. It Was funny seeing him with it in those pictures. Also for those who are curious, it looks like Marty picked up a new coaching gig. I saw him mat side representing Iron Wrestling last Sunday. Some damn lucky kids to have him there.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by drmuscle »
From professing themselves to be wise they became fools.

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 09:49:11 AM »
Marty is an excellent youth coach I agree.
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 12:56:46 PM »
Quote from: "Viratas"
Its been that way since I was there.

J has done several things to anger the Admin not just in sports but the entire school.  A few of them are:

1. Coaches Parking lot
2. Stance on Title IX
3. Speaking his mind about the past College Pres.
J is the STUD of college coaches.

Like I said.... If you guys dont want him, send him back to Oklahoma (but make it Norman this time!)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by ViseGrip »
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 01:00:20 PM »
Great comments too!

What a shame
Great article. Isn't it sad that J Robinson doesn't have a contract. He's done a great job for so long, yet Maturi doesn't the common decency to extend his contract. But, he's eager to extend the contracts of a good but not great women's basketball coach with three years remaining on the previous contract or wants to extend the football coach who lost 5 in a row(the last two by 97-21) without ever proving he can beat a good team. What a great University we have here. Joel, as many people have said, is over his head as an A.D.

posted by jpweisser on Feb 13, 09 at 9:09 am |
9 of 10 people liked this comment.
Agree with jammen
Treat him like the legend he is -- no excuses.

posted by DRJSK on Feb 13, 09 at 9:11 am |
11 of 12 people liked this comment.
outstate minnesota wrestling
I am a fan of J. Robinson, I love following the sport, but I have been troubled for a long time about the future of the sport in outstate Minnesota. Recently I was on the Guillotine website looking at high school meet results. It was sad how many meets had as many forfeits as actual matches. The sport is in trouble in many communities that were formerly wrestling strongholds. If Minnesota wants to continue a traditon of strong wrestling and chances for kids to compete, this needs to be dealt with.

posted by rangersearch on Feb 13, 09 at 11:10 am |
1 of 1 people liked this comment.
Contract
I have a feeling that the reason J does not have a contract has zero to do with his coaching abilities and has everything to do with the fact that he is very outspoken. He has never been afraid to speak out in public about how the U's wrestling program gets the shaft from administration (Maturi) when it comes to facilities and finances. He is also not afraid to call out flaws with Title IX. I personally appreciate his willingness to rock the boat to get his very valid points across to the administration, even if it means he doesn't get a long term contract because of it. It's time for the U to pony up and give him the respect he deserves.

posted by captain545 on Feb 13, 09 at 12:23 pm |
1 of 1 people liked this comment.
Three National Titles - No Contract????
Could you imagine how the U would be glorifying a football or basketball coach that had won three national titles in the past decade? They would be high on a pedestal and would have a lifetime contract and the arena/stadium would be named after them. The amount of respect Coach Robinson gets from the U is pathetic.

posted by quilamolly on Feb 13, 09 at 12:55 pm |
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by ViseGrip »
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline acguns

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 07:50:35 PM »
So V, could you expand on your personal thoughts of J Rob and UofM?  The good, the bad and the ugly.  My son has them on his list of schools that he is interested in and is looking for any insight possible.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by acguns »
There are people I would take a bullet for and others that I would like to put a bullet in.

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 08:07:11 PM »
I can give you some but I do better with specific questions.

Some things I think a recruit shoudl know.

1. J is fiercly loyal to his athelets and fans
2. He is no BS and will push you

As a coach his is solid, when I frst got their to be honest I could not stand the guy. He is much like a drill instructor in the way he pushes you and his approach. Coming out of HS for me who had a coach who was hands off that was a big change. But after that first few months I realized how much it was a postve and learned to push myself much futher.

I guess if you have specific questions fire them at me and I wlll do my best to give you my pont of view.
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

Offline Jointdoc55

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
  • Loyalty, integrity & strength through brotherhood
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2009, 01:32:50 PM »
On the "other" site there is a thread on the college forum entitled, "The Best College Coach".  Note how many posters do not have J. Rob among the top 5. I think that's just crazy.

<a href='http://www.thematforums.com/myforum/?show_topic=69383&forum_id=3' target='_blank'>http://www.thematforums.com/myforum/?show_...9383&forum_id=3[/url]
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Jointdoc55 »