Author Topic: Why do other wrestlers hate Metcalf?  (Read 9108 times)

Cruo

Re: Why do other wrestlers hate Metcalf?
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2010, 07:22:16 PM »
Quote from: "Rockhard"
Quote from: "BroncoSaurus"
I'm just trying to follow along here guys.  Let me see if I have this straight:

A. An Iowa fan comes on here to whine about how Metcalf was mistreated ONCE and choose to ignore that he has repeatedly mistreated others throughout his entire career (and nobody even mentioned Metcalf's cheap shot on Caldwell at the end of his match in the NCAA finals last season)

B. Other fans, from various other schools and conferences, do not sympathize at all

C. Iowa fans refer to anyone who disagree with their takes as "haters"

D. Other fans point out the various flaws in the statements of the Iowa fans.

E.  Iowa fans whine some more and then resort to childish name calling.  

F.  Other fans laugh at Iowa fans and their childish responses.

G.  Iowa fans resort to even more childish behavior and then pout and sulk because nobody agrees with them.  

H.  Other fans laugh out loud at the Iowa fans

Have I got it all straight?  As I said earlier - I have no dog in this fight - just trying to follow along here.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Funny stuff.

Offline Hammerlock3

• OW
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2010, 09:24:40 PM »
Quote from: "Hammerlock3"
how about the fact that metcalf didn't retaliate at all? I'm not saying the pushing out of bounds and stuff isn't obnoxious, but it all has a purpose within a wrestling match which is related to wrestling and not just being a dick. I guess I am saying that despite being obnoxious, i think metcalf is at least intellectually consistent.

So pushing guys after they are clearly out of bounds serves a purpose? Hmmm, I'll have to look that one up.

Wrestle with class, win with class and lose with class. If he's wants to do obnoxious after the whistle antics, along with anyone else for that matter, the WWE will be a nice fit for them after school.

You don't have to look it up I will explain it. You push the guy for the same reason you push people when you are cutting them, so they can't attack you. They are going out of bound, metcalf wants to go back to the middle, he pushes the guy just in case the guy wants to make some crazy diving attack as he turns. I'm not saying its cool or classy, but i honestly don't think he's doing it to be a bully, I think he has a philosophy of wrestling that he takes seriously (probably too seriously) and isn't gonna compromise.
'Shut up,' he Explained.

Offline Cicero

• Conference Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2010, 10:41:01 PM »
I think Rockhard is probably talking about a situation where the whistle has blown is blowing.  Not a lot of purpose to that other than to be a douche.
"The kinds of moves Oliver can hit are well beyond the kinds of moves I have the wrestling knowledge to describe" - LoSt

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2010, 10:42:35 AM »
You don't have to look it up I will explain it. You push the guy for the same reason you push people when you are cutting them, so they can't attack you. They are going out of bound, metcalf wants to go back to the middle, he pushes the guy just in case the guy wants to make some crazy diving attack as he turns. I'm not saying its cool or classy, but i honestly don't think he's doing it to be a bully, I think he has a philosophy of wrestling that he takes seriously (probably too seriously) and isn't gonna compromise.

In the middle, it makes sense. 5 ft out of bounds after the whistle has blown, doesn't. The problem is, the refs are so afraid of the Iowa influence, they are afraid to call him for unsportsmanlike conduct.
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."

Offline retiredbog

• Section Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2010, 10:46:29 AM »
Quote from: "BroncoSaurus"
I'm just trying to follow along here guys.  Let me see if I have this straight:

A. An Iowa fan comes on here to whine about how Metcalf was mistreated ONCE and choose to ignore that he has repeatedly mistreated others throughout his entire career (and nobody even mentioned Metcalf's cheap shot on Caldwell at the end of his match in the NCAA finals last season)

B. Other fans, from various other schools and conferences, do not sympathize at all

C. Iowa fans refer to anyone who disagree with their takes as "haters"

D. Other fans point out the various flaws in the statements of the Iowa fans.

E.  Iowa fans whine some more and then resort to childish name calling.  

F.  Other fans laugh at Iowa fans and their childish responses.

G.  Iowa fans resort to even more childish behavior and then pout and sulk because nobody agrees with them.  

H.  Other fans laugh out loud at the Iowa fans

Have I got it all straight?  As I said earlier - I have no dog in this fight - just trying to follow along here.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Funny stuff.
:lol:
Progressive\'s are simply  disgruntled Marxist\'s seeking a method to make their pseudo-religion of Marxism work . In order to do this they must deny past historical reality. As a result Progressivism is  a form of mental illness.

Offline SaltyLineup

• Junior High
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2010, 11:08:53 AM »

In the middle, it makes sense. 5 ft out of bounds after the whistle has blown, doesn't. The problem is, the refs are so afraid of the Iowa influence, they are afraid to call him for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Can you point out when he has done what you just described?  Other then the national finals match, which is not anything like you just described either, I am not aware of a time he was 5 feet out of bounds and shoved a guy after the whistle.   Hammer is dead-on.   Pushing a guy out of bounds, when on the edge of the mat, servers several legitimate purposes, and one of them is not being a nice guy.   Not to mention, with the new out of bounds rules, the other guy can be out of bounds by five feet and you can still be wrestling.   Keep wrestling through the edge and you will not get shoved out of bounds, Period.

If you want to get Metcalf back, give him a good club over the head hard, throw a crossface from left field, or shove him out of bounds.  What this kid did was not even close to wrestling and was the equivalent of punching someone in the back of the head while walking back to the center of the mat.

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2010, 11:43:47 AM »
Quote from: "SaltyLineup"
Can you point out when he has done what you just described?  Other then the national finals match, which is not anything like you just described either, I am not aware of a time he was 5 feet out of bounds and shoved a guy after the whistle.   Hammer is dead-on.   Pushing a guy out of bounds, when on the edge of the mat, servers several legitimate purposes, and one of them is not being a nice guy.   Not to mention, with the new out of bounds rules, the other guy can be out of bounds by five feet and you can still be wrestling.   Keep wrestling through the edge and you will not get shoved out of bounds, Period.

If you want to get Metcalf back, give him a good club over the head hard, throw a crossface from left field, or shove him out of bounds.  What this kid did was not even close to wrestling and was the equivalent of punching someone in the back of the head while walking back to the center of the mat.

Wasn't it Metcalf's redshirt year when he got dq'd for sucker punching a kid during a match? If so, was that wrestling?

Pushing a guy while clearly out of bounds serves only one purpose, to be a douchebag on the mat. No one else seems to be doing it, yet Metcalf feels the need to do it often.

Offline SaltyLineup

• Junior High
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2010, 12:08:15 PM »

Wasn't it Metcalf's redshirt year when he got dq'd for sucker punching a kid during a match? If so, was that wrestling?

Pushing a guy while clearly out of bounds serves only one purpose, to be a douchebag on the mat. No one else seems to be doing it, yet Metcalf feels the need to do it often.

Again can you point out one time when Metcalf pushed a guy who was clearly out of bounds?  I think he was DQ for a head butt, not sucker punching someone, but I could be wrong.  You seem to have watched every one of Metcalf's matches so I am sure you would know.

Offline AKIN

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 27, 2010, 12:14:25 PM »
No one else seems to be doing it, yet Metcalf feels the need to do it often.

Actually I saw a number of different wrestlers shoving while out of bounds at Lone Star Duals. Ashmore and Drouin from ASU, Patterson from OU, and a couple of Brown wrestlers. Those were just the ones I saw specifically, I am betting there were other instances that I did not see.

As for holding the head down when releasing, I don't have an issue with that. Heck I remember watching a match where the top man released, held the head down the whole time, came around front while still keeping the head down and the ref gave him 1pt escape, so he just went around behind and got 2td. The ref let this happen like 4 times before time ran out on the period. So is this being a prick, or just takig advantage of what the ref is allowing you to do? If you don't like having your head messed with, do something about it.
Imagine the good that could be done, if people were less worried about their differences, and more worried about doing good for everyone.

Offline Julio

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 27, 2010, 01:58:34 PM »
I've seen Metcalf do the shoving out of bounds things many times and it was not cool.  The other guy would continue to wrestle through the out of bounds line and the ref would then blow and whistle having both guys stand straightup.  Then the other guy would get pushed hard.  

As far as the head pushing I don't have a problem with that at all.  It's just hard wrestling and if you ask me smart technique.
"The government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

"How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist"

Ron Reagan

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2010, 02:38:24 PM »
Again can you point out one time when Metcalf pushed a guy who was clearly out of bounds?  I think he was DQ for a head butt, not sucker punching someone, but I could be wrong.  You seem to have watched every one of Metcalf's matches so I am sure you would know.

Big 10 finals against Schlatter comes to mind. This last match against the Purdue kid, Caldwell finals match, against Palmer in 08 just to name a few. I'm sure if we were able to watch every one of his matches, majority of them would have him doing this.

Headbutt, sucker punch are pretty much the same thing. Both are cheapshots.

Offline SaltyLineup

• Junior High
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2010, 02:54:59 PM »
Quote from: "OkieSpladle"
Quote from: "brycemus"
I may be a rabid Iowa fan, but I'm not blind to the criticism.  And just as there are Rabid Iowa fans with blinders on there are the Rabid ANTI-Iowa fans and specifically Metcalf-haters.  You an accuse me of putting blinders on, but in most cases that's going to be the Pot calling the Kettle black.

I was not the most successful college wrestler...hell ask Oakie...I sucked.  But we learned you wrestled THROUGH not to the edge.  We also learned you wrestled THROUGH not to the whistle.  Metcalf is incredibly intense on the mat, he wants to win & he wants to show he can do it in a dominating fashion.  It has to be frustrating to wrestle against competitors who are out there to lose close matches, or to do everything in their power to make it a one move match at the end.  I think you see that frustration out of Brent when he wrestles through the edge and whistle.  I think it's evident in the shoves on his way back to center.  It is incredibly evident in the way he cuts wrestlers who REFUSE to wrestle him.  Look at the Mueller match in Ames...keeping his hand on his head set up the FALL that was a major factor in the Hawkeye victory.  

What bothers me most about the haters, is that they will call anything seen as dirty by the Hawkeye wrestlers as forgivable or the end result of their own actions.  But they will turn a blind eye to transgressions against the Hawkeyes.  I get it...we're the Cowboys & you're all biding your time for next season when the Hawkeyes are in the midst of some rebuilding.  But to say this is Brands or Brent's own fault is ludicrous and smacks of intense personal dislike and a failure to make people accountable for their own actions.

But enjoy your armchair quarterbacking.

You did really suck.  Then again, so did I. Anyway, there is a lot of truth to your post.  Metcalf doesn't do anything that other wrestlers throughout the years haven't already done (save the Caldwell incident, I don't think I've seen that one before), but he is one of the most, if not the most, high profile athletes in our sport right now and with that comes a microscope.  I don't love everything he does and I do wish the officials would start calling the obvious after the whistle stuff (not just on Metcalf, but on everyone).  I also don't really buy the excuse that he gets frustrated because guys won't wrestle him.  I got frustrated on the mat all the time, as I'm sure most wrestlers do, mine was usually because I was losing rather than the other guy was running from me, but thats part of wrestling and something you have to handle.  Losing your cool or complaining to the official isn't the right way to handle it.  None of that warrants other wrestlers taking cheap shots at him andor biting him.  We all know this is an emotional sport, but you've got to handle those emotions the right way.  All that being said, I'd love to have him on my team and anyone who says otherwise is kidding themselves.

If you two sucked where does that put Rock?