Author Topic:  (Read 1705 times)

Offline OkieSpladle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« on: February 20, 2009, 10:43:27 PM »
Now lets break this down.  Going into 184 Ohio State leads by 1 point.  If Pucillo goes at 184 Ohio State is a slight underdog at 184, a slight favorite at 197 and a solid favorite at HWT.  Instead, he bumps up to 197 meaning that it will take a big upset for Northwestern to win the dual.

I guess I can understand that this gives them a better chance to win the dual (though odds are you're going to win 1 of 2 at 184 & 197), but this is a ridiculous move.  The dual win means nothing!  You can talk all you want about risking a guys confidence and what not, but what does it say when you won't let your #2 guy have a shot at #1?  I don't blame Pucillo at all because I'm sure he wanted a shot at Herbert and he has to do what his Coach asks him to do, but Tom Ryan should be ashamed.  You had a chance to feature a match between the top 2 in the country, 2 national champions, with the dual on the line and you chose to avoid that.  That is bad for the sport, its bad for your fans and its bad for your team.  Tom Ryan is a great coach, but he screwed up big tonight and I hope he realizes that before the next time rolls around.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by OkieSpladle »

Offline drmuscle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 12:20:37 AM »
The fans got screwed, but it was a good coaching decision.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by drmuscle »
From professing themselves to be wise they became fools.

Offline Indiana Wrestler

• LXP
  • National Team
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 01:29:09 AM »
it could be an advantage... If Herbert would beat him twice (dual and Big10's) it could effect his (Pucillo) metallity if they meet in the finals at NCAA's. Terrible we couldnt see the match, great coaching move to win the dual.

My coach in HS did something similar. We had Ben Wissel at 171 and our 189lber was a certified 171lber (could have won state at 171 ot top 4, but couldnt beat Ben!) The team we were wrestling, their 171lber was pretty good, as well as their 189lber. So, Ben being the better wrestler bumped up to 189 that match. Charlie got a Dec at 171 against... oh i think the #5 kid in the state, about the same Ben would have done against the kid, while Ben put on a takedown clinic to secure a major (ended up being like 23-11 with just TD's and one escape for Ben) and won the match by one point. Charlie had wrestled the kid at 189 before but only got a 5-1 decision
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Indiana Wrestler »

Offline ac1998

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 01:24:11 PM »
I went up to Evanston to catch the dual meet and specifically this match.  Needless, to say there were a lot of disappointed wrestling fans. It was a pretty good crowd for a northwestern wrestling match, especially considering the high school state tourny was going on in Champaign.

I don't know if Ryan's decison had any impact from a team standpoint.  I think OSU was favored in the last two matches anyway.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by ac1998 »