Author Topic:  (Read 1504 times)

Offline Jointdoc55

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
  • Loyalty, integrity & strength through brotherhood
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« on: February 21, 2009, 05:17:21 PM »
I apologize that this is so long, but the question has come up as to how and when NCAA Championship bid allocations are made.  The following pdf file explains this in great detail. I copied and pasted several key parts of it.

<a href='http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/champ_handbooks/wrestling/2009/1_wrestling_handbook.pdf' target='_blank'>http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/champ_handb...ng_handbook.pdf[/url]

Qualifying Positions:
Automatic Qualifying Positions:  The Division I Wrestling Committee, subject to the
approval of the Division I Championships/Sports Management Cabinet, will determine annually in advance of the qualifying tournaments the total number of automatic qualifying positions awarded to conferences and qualifying tournaments for the Division I Wrestling Championships. The champion in each of the 10 weight classes at each qualifying tournament shall automatically qualify for the national championships. Each conference or regional qualifying tournament will be informed on February 26, 2009 of the number of qualifiers awarded in each of the 10 weight classes. It is anticipated that 250-300 positions(approximately 25-30 wrestlers per weight class) will be awarded through this process. For 2009, the Championships/Sports Management Cabinet has allocated 330 positions for the Division I Wrestling Championships. The criteria that may be used in determining the positions are located in Appendix C.

Appendix A - Automatic-Qualifying Conferences

-  Atlantic Coast Conference
-  Big 10 Conference
-  Big 12 Conference
-  Colonial Athletic Association
-  Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Association
-  Eastern Wrestling League
-  Mid-American Conference
-  Pacific-10 Conference
-  Southern Conference

Appendix C - 2009 Qualifier Allocation Criteria

2009 automatic qualifiers (250-300 of the 330 championships field) will be determined by using the primary criteria formula described below and will be communicated to all qualifying events on February 26, 2009. After all qualifying events have concluded, the NCAA Division I Wrestling Committee will meet in-person to select at-large qualifiers using secondary criteria, also described below. Wildcard selections at qualifying events have been eliminated. All weight classes at the 2009 NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships will consist of 33 wrestlers. At-large qualifiers will be announced on March 11, 2009.

Primary Criteria Formula:  On February 23, 2009, wrestlers in each weight class will be measured on the following: winning percentage (Win %), rating percentage index (RPI) and coaches’ ranking (CR). Win % is defined as Division I wins divided by total Division I matches contested. RPI is defined as Win % * opponents’ Win % * opponents’ opponents’ Win % (15 match minimum). CR is defined as the weight class specific ranking as determined by the NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships Pre-seed Committee. Wrestlers that meet or exceed threshold levels for all three measures will be labeled “Gold Standard.â€
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Jointdoc55 »

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 11:11:48 AM »
It would be very interesting to know which wrestlers would have been added and which wrestlers would have been eliminated from last year's NCAA tournament if these rules had been applied last year.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by ViseGrip »
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell