Poll

Would you rather see a balanced budget with higher taxes or a budget deficit with tax cuts?

Balanced Budget with higher taxes
5 (62.5%)
Budget Deficit with tax cuts
3 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: February 04, 2010, 03:36:56 PM

Author Topic: Fiscal Conundrum...  (Read 1430 times)

Offline ac1998

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
Fiscal Conundrum...
« on: February 04, 2010, 03:36:56 PM »
Rassmussen reports did a poll asking this very question.

Here's a write up on that question and a few others they survies.

A 41% plurality would rather have budget deficit with tax cuts, with 36% calling for higher taxes and a balanced budget. The internals of the poll show Republicans favoring deficits and tax cuts.

"The partisan differences on the questions are notable," says the pollster's analysis. "While 50% of Republicans would rather see a budget deficit with tax cuts, a plurality (46%) of Democrats favor the opposite approach - a balanced budget with higher taxes. Voters not affiliated with either party are evenly divided on the question."

A separate question asked: "Is it possible to balance the federal budget without raising taxes?" Here the answer was Yes 37%, with a No plurality of 42% saying that it is not possible to balance the budget without raising taxes. In the internals, 47% of Republicans think it's possible to balance the budget without raising taxes, to 53% of Democrats who do not think so.

Another number finds that only a very small minority knew the correct answer to this one: "Is the following statement true or false? Most federal spending is spent on only three programs--Social Security, Medicare and national defense." The correct answer is "True," but only 35% answered that way, with a 44% plurality saying false.

"These figures highlight a massive failure of leadership from both Republicans and Democrats among the nation's political elite," says Scott Rasmussen. "Given the amount of political chatter about the budget in recent years, it is almost beyond comprehension that neither party has seen fit to highlight the basics so that the American people can make reasoned choices on the fundamental issues before them."

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://theopenmat.com
Re: Fiscal Conundrum...
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 03:44:02 PM »
No fair you are missing an option.

Spending cuts, balanced budget, with targetd tax incetives.
Aequitas - Veritas (is Latin)
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

"When it’s over, I’ll look up and see what remains. If there are any bridges, I’ll cross them when I get there."

Offline ac1998

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 03:53:14 PM »
Quote from: "Viratas"
No fair you are missing an option.

Spending cuts, balanced budget, with targetd tax incetives.

I just copy/pasted the Rassmussen question verbatim.  I see what they were trying to do obviously is to make people state the preference between the two tough choices. Most everyone from both sides of the political spectrum would choose the 3rd option, though I suspect what they would choose as their spending cuts would differ.

Offline Viratas

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://theopenmat.com
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 04:25:27 PM »
No I hear ya, I was playing with ya some :)
Aequitas - Veritas (is Latin)
Cóir - Fírinne
Justice - Truth

"When it’s over, I’ll look up and see what remains. If there are any bridges, I’ll cross them when I get there."

RYou

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 08:05:49 AM »
less government - less spending - especially at the state level where the predominance of tax revenue is wasted

Offline Old Number Nine

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 11:03:49 PM »
This sort of question requires what is called a Truth Table and looks like this where T is Taxes with 0 being Cut and 1 is Increase.  So it follows that B is Budget with 0 being decrease and 1 being increase.

T  B
0  0
1  0
0  1
1  1

This gives four possibilities: 0, 0 - Cut taxes, Cut the Budget; 1, 0 - Increase Taxes, Cut the Budget; 0, 1 - Cut Taxes, Increase the Budget; 1, 1 - Increase Taxes, Increase the Budget.

Now let’s look at all four possibilities (I'm writing this so I'll do it in the order I want).

4) Raise Taxes and Raise the Budget.  This is the choice that will make the fewest people happy, IMO.  Liberal Politicians and the people who expect to get the most hand-outs from the government, i.e. their constituents.  In theory you would think this would have a chance of being deficit neutral, but seeing as how they could take all of the money made by the rich people of the U.S. and the budget would still not be balanced, it's unlikely.

3) Cut Taxes and Raise the Budget.  This is the sure path to fiscal destruction and it seems to be the course we are on right now.  The liberals have to tax everybody or this ship will sink.  I saw on the news yesterday that the Chinese have said they will no longer buy any more of our dept.  This is the first shot across the Flag Ship Obama's bow meaning, get your finances in order or you’re on your own.

2) Raise Taxes and Lower the Budget;  Normally this would lower the deficit but with the current obamanation(sic) that is the Obama budget, well, I don’t see him cutting that much and see #3 above about taxing the rich.  At least this possibility would demonstrate some concern for the countries fiscal well being although I know of very few people that would view a tax increase in the way VP Biden would like.  I pay my taxes and donate to many charities of my own choosing (at a much higher percentage than Obama’s 4%) and I don’t need Tail Gunner Joe telling what is the right thing to do as I am sure his version would be quite different from mine.

1) That brings us to Cut Taxes and Cut the Budget; This gets my vote.  Cut all “stimulus” funds that have not already been spent.  Require “stimulus” funds given to cronies be returned.  Immediately cancel all of the legislation adopted so far by the Obama administration and his liberal cronies in congress.  If these three things are done congress could probably declare 2010 the year of no taxes, at all, and still come out ahead.  Can you imagine how paying no taxes would effect current state of our economy?